(941) 932-8866 FL Lic.#CQ1037894

Real estate blog of Bradenton and Sarasota homes

Avantfax 3.3.3 fax server php 5.4 fix after update
06/06/2012 11:10 AM

fax server with hylafax and avantfaxI have been using Avantfax on my server in conjunction with Hylafax to run fax services for our brokerage. After upgradeing to PHP 5.4 from PHP 5.2 or above the site for Advantfax showed a "white screen" or "blank screen" error 500...

After searching for some time I found that the update necessitated an alteration within the include/classes.php file to add require_once 'Smarty.php'; and to comment out the _autoload section.

Below is a short script you can copy to within the "includes" directory of your avantfax install and execute (once you set the file permissions to allow execution) and it will patch your classes.php file for you. :-)




echo "File \"classes.php\" edit."

for i in $(ls ); do

if [ -f $i ]; then



LETTER=$(echo $i | sed -e 's/[^A-Z]//g')

if [ ! -z $LETTER ]; then

sed -i "/config.php/a\require_once \'$NAME\';" classes.php

sed -i "/config.php/a\require_once \'htmlMimeMail5.php\';" classes.php




echo "Function \"__autoload\" comment out."

sed -i "/function __autoload/c\/** function __autoload" classes.php

n=$(grep -niw 'function __autoload' classes.php|awk -F: '{ print $1 }');


sed -i "$(echo $n)i\ */" classes.php




Once complete you will have full access to your advantfax install...

Avantfax php 5.3 update

If I helped you fix your install too please be curtious and leave a quick comment so others will be assured this works. :-)

claim token: YV64WYS82MW6

Read the rest of this article >>
4 Guidelines for Sucessful Negotiations!
05/30/2012 09:35 PM

How often are you involved in a negotiation?

If you answered, "almost daily," you already realize how much negotiating is involved in our everyday lives. Think about it. We negotiate with our kids over everything from homework to the car keys. We haggle over prices at a yard sale. We go back and forth over whose turn it is to do the dishes.

In business, negotiations are constantly in the picture -- with vendors, colleagues, employees and clients. We even negotiate for clients.

Some people believe negotiations are bound to be contentious. But they needn't be. It's clearly possible to negotiate with a cool head and reach an agreement that pretty much satisfies both parties. Here's how:

1. Start by listening
Don't reveal what you want right away. Let the other side go first, so you know what you're dealing with. If they're hesitant, be firm. Explain that you can't give them what they want without knowing what they need.

2. Stick to the process
Experts tell us there's a 3-step process to successful negotiations:

  • Collect the opening positions
  • Probe for more information
  • Arrive at a compromise

Look for common ground in the step where you're asking for more info. Suppose you're buying a used piano. After the seller and you share opening positions, ask what's included -- the piano bench, a piano light, maybe some sheet music the seller no longer needs. These can be things on which you and the seller can compromise.

If the conversation stalls, but more could be done; talk about what each of you would be willing to give up for you to be able to move ahead. If you're really deadlocked in an important negotiation, you may have to bite the bullet and bring in a professional mediator.

3. Be ready with, "Under what circumstance...?"
This is the magic phrase that reveals what the other side feels they need. "Under what circumstance would you provide this financing for my business?" "Under what circumstance can you deliver this by the end of the month?" Until you know this, you can't reach a compromise.

4. Avoid round numbers
One office cleaning service quotes $40 a week, another says $38. Which one would you negotiate with? Always come to the negotiating table with an exact number, but don't use zeros. Not using a round number makes it look like you've done the math, which can intimidate the opposition. Make concessions the same way. If you have to come down, lead with an odd number amount.

Follow these guidelines and you should come out of every negotiation not necessarily with everything you want, but always with everything you need....

Read the rest of this article >>
Market Update
05/28/2012 10:10 AM


INFO THAT HITS US WHERE WE LIVE... Well, we can all finally enjoy some solid signs of recovery in the housing market. Tuesday we got the news Existing Home Sales were UP 3.4% in April to a 4.62 million unit annual rate. Sales are now UP 10.0% over a year ago. The median price is UP 10.1% from a year ago and the average price is UP 7.4% for the year.  

This great news was followed on Wednesday with new single-family homes sales UP 3.3% in April to a 343,000 unit annual rate and UP 9.9% over a year ago. The months' supply of new homes dropped to 5.1, although inventories rose a bit. The median price is now UP 4.9% versus a year ago and the average price is UP 5.1% for the year. No one expects a huge increase in sales right away, but as one economist put it, "The housing recovery is definitely underway."

BUSINESS TIP OF THE WEEK... When someone asks what you do, be ready with an exact 15-second reply. This "elevator pitch" should state the pain you solve and whom you solve it for.

>> Review of Last Week

WORRIED BUT WINNING... Worries about Europe obsessed Wall Street investors, yet there was enough positive sentiment to give stocks their first winning week in a month by the time everyone left for the long weekend. Fears that Greece would abandon the Euro were joined by news that the U.K. slipped back into recession where Germany may soon find itself after logging one quarter of negative growth. The week concluded with Spain about to do its biggest bank rescue in history. Phew!

The good vibes pivoted around the unexpectedly upbeat home sales for April and the revised University of Michigan Consumer Sentiment Survey. This surprised to the upside, hitting its highest reading in four years. Still, all was not rosy, as April Durable Goods Orders were up less than expected and when volatile transportation items are taken out, Durable Goods were down for the second month in a row. 

For the week, the Dow ended UP 0.7%, at 12455; the S&P 500 closed UP 1.7%, to 1318; and the Nasdaq ended UP 2.1%, to 2838. 

In spite of investors' eurozone worries, there was enough optimism about stocks to keep bond prices pretty much flat for the week. The FNMA 3.5% bond we watch finished the week down just .05, at $104.11. National average mortgage rates were little changed in Freddie Mac's weekly survey, holding near record low levels. Their chief economist noted this was "helping to drive home buyer affordability." 

DID YOU KNOW?... GDP (Gross Domestic Product) is the total market value of all goods and services produced, equal to all consumer, investment and government spending, plus exports, minus the value of imports.

>> This Week’s Forecast

APRIL PENDING HOME SALES AND JOBS TO SUPPORT THEM... Wednesday we'll see if the good news in housing will continue. Pending Home Sales for April will give us an idea of Existing Home Sales in the June time frame and they're forecast up a bit, though not quite as much as in March. 

We'll then see if this beginning of a housing comeback gets help from the May Employment Report. With Q2 GDP expected to show economic growth slipping under 2%, only 155,000 new payrolls are forecast for the month. Core PCE Prices, the Fed's key inflation reading, should stay within the central bank's guidelines.

Monday, in observance of Memorial Day, all U.S. financial markets are closed.

>> The Week’s Economic Indicator Calendar

Weaker than expected economic data tends to send bond prices up and interest rates down, while positive data points to lower bond prices and rising loan rates. 

Economic Calendar for the Week of May 28 – Jun 1

 Date Time (ET) Release For Consensus Prior Impact
May 29
10:00 Consumer Confidence May 69.0 69.2 Moderate
May 30
10:00 Pending Home Sales Apr 2.0% 4.1% Moderate
May 31
08:30 Initial Unemployment Claims 05/26 365K 370K Moderate
May 31
08:30 Continuing Unemployment Claims 05/19 3.250M 3.260M Moderate
May 31
08:30 GDP-2nd Estimate Q1 1.9% 2.2% Moderate
May 31
08:30 GDP Price Deflator-2nd Estimate Q1 1.5% 1.5% Moderate
May 31
09:45 Chicago PMI May 57.5 56.2 HIGH
May 31
11:00 Crude Inventories 5/26 NA 0.883M Moderate
Jun 1
08:30 Average Workweek May 34.5 34.5 HIGH
Jun 1
08:30 Hourly Earnings May 0.2% 0.0% HIGH
Jun 1
08:30 Nonfarm Payrolls May 155K 115K HIGH
Jun 1
08:30 Unemployment Rate May 8.1% 8.1% HIGH
Jun 1
08:30 Personal Income Apr 0.3% 0.4% Moderate
Jun 1
08:30 Personal Spending Apr 0.3% 0.3% HIGH
Jun 1
08:30 Core PCE Prices Apr 0.2% 0.2% HIGH
Jun 1
10:00 ISM Index May 54.0 54.8 HIGH

>> Federal Reserve Watch   

Forecasting Federal Reserve policy changes in coming months... The Fed is committed to keeping rates super low well into next year and economists believe they'll succeed.Note: In the lower chart, a 1% probability of change is a 99% certainty the rate will stay the same.

Current Fed Funds Rate: 0%–0.25%

After FOMC meeting on: Consensus
Jun 20 0%–0.25%
Jul 31 0%–0.25%
Sep 12 0%–0.25%

Probability of change from current policy:

After FOMC meeting on: Consensus
Jun 20      <1%
Jul 31      <1%
Sep 12      <1%


Read the rest of this article >>
Previous 100 Next 100

want more? Get Alerts as new listings arrive!